The United Arab Emirates for the first time in the Arab world July 20, successfully launched a probe Hope (“Hope”) on Mars. The research unit should fly nearly 500 million miles and arrive on the “red planet” in the first quarter of 2021.
UAE successfully launched to Mars research probe
As planned, the rocket Arabic Mitsubishi launched the probe into orbit, starting with the Japanese Tanegashima space center, says the channel 24.
“Hope” (Hope in English, in Arabic “al-Amal”) will be the first probe that will create a complete picture of the atmosphere of Mars with all its layers. In orbit it will spend a Martian year – approximately two earth.
The probe was developed at the Space center Mohammed bin Rashid in Dubai in cooperation with the laboratory for atmospheric and space physics University of Colorado in the United States.
Hope will work around the clock. It is equipped with three devices to collect information in the visible, infrared and ultraviolet ranges – so Mars has not yet been explored by anyone. This the following devices:
- The camera’s large resolution Emirates eXploration Imager (EXI) for the analysis of Martian dust and ozone;
- Meter Emirates Mars Infrared Spectrometer (EMIRS) to determine the level of oxygen and hydrogen;
- Emirates Mars spectrometer Ultraviolet Spectrometer (EMUS) for the analysis of the atmosphere in the ultraviolet.
But to reach the fourth planet from the Sun, position the probe at the beginning of 2021 for the 50th anniversary of the formation of the UAE.
Interestingly, announced the beginning of the mission “Hope” exactly 6 years ago, in July of 2014. At that time the UAE had only two satellites, created in South Korea, and had no hint of the development strategy of space research.
The situation was changed by the will, and $ 200 million
Now UAE is the first Arab space power. In 2019 in space has been even the first UAE astronaut Haza al-Mursi.
Why UAE want in the space?
The authorities of the United Arab Emirates expressly declare: we are not talking about space, but about the economy.
The UAE the third richest country in the world by GDP per capita after Luxembourg and Qatar. So why not space? After all, it is a wonderful tool for the realization of ambitious goals – “create a large abrupt change in the system that combines science and technology in the UAE economy” (as stated by the head of the mission “Hope” Omran Sharaf).
This change, however, according to scientists, have to wait 10 – 15 years.
The first Arab mission to Mars departed: watch the video to Al Arabiya and The Natiomal
Short on space missions to Mars from the US, China and Russia
- In addition to the UAE Mars mission plan soon to launch USA (Perseverance – Perseverance) and China (Tianwen-1 – “Questions to heaven”). The Americans will focus on the study of the surface of the planet, and the Chinese – on the bowels. Climate research now – for the Arabs.
- Russians still “Martian” race, space technology participation did not actually take. In may 2020, the head of the Roscosmos, Dmitry Rogozin, stated that Russia “cannot afford all sorts of follies.” But with regards to moon in Russia, argue and plan for 2021 the implementation of the program “Luna-25”.
Share the news