British mobile operators EE and Vodafone declined to Huawei devices after the launch of 5G networks. It is a response to a bunch of prohibitions of the U.S. government and giant companies.
Both operators had to install Huawei Mate 20 X 5G, one of the world’s first smartphone with support for 5G as part of its 5G network. The Vodafone representative told The Verge that it was suspending pre-orders for the device, adding that this is a temporary measure while there is uncertainty about new devices Huawei 5G. It is reported by CI Tech.
EE, which is owned by the BT Group, one of the largest telecommunications companies in Europe, has said it will not take up the phone until, until will not be able to guarantee customers long-term use of the device. “Until then, until we are confident that our customers, when purchasing these devices will receive support throughout the period of use… we have suspended our relationship with them,” said Marc Allera, Director General of the consumer brands BT Group, at a press conference.
This is what @MarcAllera, CEO of BT consumer brands (EE, BT and Plusnet) said about @Huawei devices in the light of the recent news about the Chinese brand “we will wait for more information” 5GEE pic.twitter.com/wqYNrVxVVH
– Francisco Jeronimo (@fjeronimo) may 22, 2019.
These ads are one of the first responses of European mobile operators in response to the lost license Huawei on Android. Although Huawei never released their devices in America, the phone companies have been well received in Europe. In the first quarter of 2019, Huawei has delivered more than 59 million smartphones, and about half of them went to Europe. This means that the company holds about a quarter of the European market.
Without a full license Google on Android devices Huawei will lose access to the Google Play Store and key apps like Facebook, Instagram, and Google Maps, as well as security updates, Google. At Huawei, there is a temporary license to release Android updates for existing devices until August 19, but after that it is unclear what will be the future of phone companies. It is also unknown whether the non-Huawei device to have access to updates, if they will start before this date.
The largest European mobile operators, including Telefonica, Spanish and German Deutsche Telekom has yet to discuss whether they will continue to sell phones. Earlier this week, Japanese mobile operators announced that they would postpone the launch of the new Huawei phones to their networks. The representative of one of the operators said that the company wants customers to “feel safe when using our products”. If the United States does not appear any signs of lifting the ban on Huawei, other carriers around the world will probably follow suit.