In Colorado discovered a squirrel infected with the bubonic plague

В Колорадо обнаружена белка, зараженная бубонной чумой

Bubonic plague infected squirrel was discovered in Colorado. On Tuesday reported ABC, citing a statement from the health authorities of Jefferson County.

The statement said that the protein detected on Saturday, became the first animal in the district, who was diagnosed with plague.

On Tuesday, a representative of the Department of health of Jefferson County said in an interview with CBS News that in the city of Morrison was seen at least 15 dead squirrels. One of the corpses was tested for plague, and I tested positive and it is anticipated that the remaining proteins also died from the bubonic plague.

“Plague is an infectious disease caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis, and it can be infected people and Pets, if not taken proper precautions,” reads the statement of the authorities of Jefferson County.

People can get bubonic plague from fleas that are carriers of the disease, or by direct contact with blood or tissues of infected animals, including coughing or from bites. According to the Department of health Jefferson County, cats are especially susceptible to the plague and could die from infection, if you do not receive timely treatment in the form of antibiotics. Dogs are not as susceptible to the plague, but they can be carriers of the disease.

Among the symptoms of the plague – sudden onset of fever, chills, headache, nausea, severe pain and swelling of the lymph nodes, which arise within two to seven days after infection. With early diagnosis plague can be treated effectively with antibiotics, said the County recommending anyone with similar symptoms, promptly seek medical help.

Share