Urban planning practices of the Soviet era included the elimination of burial sites, trapped within the urban area, in areas of heavy development. The old cemetery was reconstructed and in Western countries, but only in the Soviet Union they turned into parks. As a result, in the river we have several large parks-cemeteries. Tells the community “Yekaterinoslav – Dnepropetrovsk”.
PARK of REMEMBRANCE AND RECONCILIATION (until recently – the Park. Kalinina)
Park “live and dead” – as some residents of the Dnieper is called the green zone. Immediately after the Foundation of the Ekaterinoslav in this place came Factory cemetery. In early 1790-ies in the town start to work the breech cloth manufactory. The factory and settlement where there lived serfs, factory workers, was near the modern railway station. Heavy working conditions led to high mortality. So, over the four decades of its existence the factory, to the southwest area of the factory rose Factory cemetery.
The 1860-ies in the area of the cemetery there was a new settlement Chechelivka. And by the end of the NINETEENTH century there began a major steel plants. The district quickly began to grow and develop, to grow and cemetery is now name – Chechelovskoe. It occupied the territory of 5 hectares between the streets Through (Schepkin), Kerosene (Levanevsky) and 1st Chechelivka (now St. Sergei Nigoyan, formerly. St. Kalinina). In late 1890-ies on Celebscom cemetery was erected the Church Cemetery. Gradually the cemetery was encircled building. However, the question of reconstruction of the territory was only shortly before the war. In 1937 the Church was closed, and in the autumn of 1941, during the occupation, it is burned.
During the great Patriotic war Chechelovskoe cemetery became a military. During the fighting, the occupation and after the liberation of the city, here formed from two military necropolis. In the first buried the enemy soldiers – the Germans and the Italians. And immediately after the liberation was a second necropolis. In 26 mass graves found eternal peace 427 of the red Army soldiers who died during the liberation of Dnepropetrovsk or deceased later from wounds in hospitals of the city.
After the war the cemetery was liquidated. In 1946, its territory was landscaped and broke Park of a name of Kalinin, while expanding to 15 meters of the street Levanevsky. The ruins of the Church built a one-storey building office Park, which now occupies the shop. In 1966, the Park was a monument to Kalinin – one of party leaders of the Stalin era. In 1976, the ashes of soldiers were transferred in 6 mass graves, and may 9, 1976 opened a single “memorial of Fame” – a wall of red brick, where iron 5 bells, and next 12 bronze plaques with the names of the buried. In 2015, the Park received a new name – Park of Remembrance and Reconciliation.
PARKS – CEMETERIES ON THE “FORK”
The so-called “fork” once housed a large city cemetery. Park “named after 40-th anniversary of the liberation of Dnepropetrovsk”, between Avenue B. Khmelnitsky (ex. Geroev Stalingrada) and the Substation is the former New town cemetery. Graves appeared here in the early twentieth century and continued until the 1960-ies. Today, a vast array of graves remained only extensive military necropolis – 2076 red Army soldiers killed in action or died of wounds in the years 1943-46. Among the trees in this Park you can find the only surviving tomb of a famous architect Alexander Krasnoselsky. In 1982, at a private cemetery at his grave was erected a new monument – a granite column, entwined with metallic ribbon with an inscription and a portrait of the architect.
The second Park-necropolis with “fork”, “Park Pisarzhevsky”, between avenues B. Khmelnitsky and A. Field (ex. Kirova). The broad Avenue of the Park is in the heart of Grand tombs of the New Jewish cemetery, founded in the early twentieth century. On memoirs of old residents, in the early 1950-ies there was still the remains of the mausoleums over the tombs and monuments of impressive dimensions. Later it was all removed. In the depths of the Park a large black obelisk placed on the tomb of the known scientist-chemist Lev Pisarzhevsky. The author of this tombstone – the sculptor Matvey Manizer, the author of monuments to Taras Shevchenko on Tarasova mountain, and near the University in Kiev. Pisarzhevskiy died in 1938. After the war, when it was decided to demolish the New Jewish cemetery, his grave has left the newly launched Park that called his name.
In the same place during the great Patriotic war, there were executions of civilians, which is reminiscent of a small Stela in the Park. During perestroika, the press reported that to this, it also shot the victims of Stalinist repression. A detailed study of this issue is not yet published, but local residents claim that the neighboring Park houses and garages also built “on the bones”, and that during construction works here continue to find the graves.
Park in the mountainous part of our town is a monument to the Crimean war and defense of Sevastopol. During the Crimean war of 1853-56 years in Ekaterinoslav were located military units that were later sent to the front. In buildings Potemkin Palace (now the Palace of students) and Charitable institutions (now the hospital. Mechnikov), was a military hospital for wounded soldiers. Losses of the Russian side in the Crimean war amounted to more than 500 thousand people. Of these, several thousand found their last home in Ekaterinoslav. The dead were buried close to Charitable institutions, in the cemetery called “the Cemetery of Sevastopol”.
In 1863, West of the cemetery was built a small stone Church of the resurrection of Lazarus. Much later, in 1894, to the entrance of the temple was attached to the porch. By 1870, around the Church formed the Sebastopol cemetery, which began to bury and citizens. And to the West of the civilian cemetery was allocated a plot for the cemetery of the city garrison.
Sevastopol cemetery functioned until the beginning of the great Patriotic war. During hostilities, Lazarevskaya Church burned down. In 1949, the decision of the Executive Committee the cemetery was closed. After the transfer of the remains part buried started the landscaping.
In 1955, the centenary of the end of the defense of Sevastopol, on the territory of the former cemetery was created by the Park with memorial complex. The project was led by Dnipropetrovsk architect Oleg Petrov. During the reconstruction were arranged in a brotherly grave, strewed the hill on which was erected a monument of white Inkerman stone. Was built nearby arc de Triomphe and Avenue of Heroes, with images of Dasha of Sevastopol, sailor Cats, Nikolay Pirogov and other individuals who distinguished themselves during the defense of Sevastopol.
The white house