European colonization of North and South America, which began in the late XV century, contributed to the climate change of our planet. Then killed so many people that as a result of reforestation, the flow of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere have decreased dramatically.
To such conclusion the group of scientists from University College London, reports the BBC Russian service with reference to article in the journal Quaternary Science Reviews.
According to them, after the arrival of the Spaniards in Central and South America there was devastated by extensive agricultural lands, which were quickly overgrown forests. As a result, the content of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere began to decrease, which led to a cooling of the climate on a planetary scale.
Cold was recorded in numerous written sources in Europe, where he began a “little ice age”. Then the canals in Holland every winter covered with ice, the Thames in London froze, and in Eastern Europe were crop failures and famine.
“The great extinction of indigenous peoples in America led to the devastation of arable land, in which there is increased forest area and increased absorption of carbon dioxide, which had a noticeable impact on global temperatures,” said one of the study’s authors, Alexander Koch.
Scientists have brought together all available data on the population of the American continent before the first European contact in 1492. They then gave their assessment of the changes in this number in the next decades as a result of epidemics of smallpox, measles and other infectious diseases, war, slavery and the crisis of civilizations.
According to scientists, by the end of XV century in America was inhabited by about 60 million people, i.e. about 10% of the world population. Through the century the number had decreased about 10 times to 5-6 million people.
Native Americans to meet Europeans cultivated 56 million hectares. Later the lands in tropical and sub-tropical climate quickly overgrown forests or turned into savanna.
This has led to a significant increase in the extent of absorption of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere – the concentration of this greenhouse gas has declined over the century by 7-10 ppm (i.e. 7-10 molecules of CO? for every million molecules of air).
“For comparison, in our time, we burn enough fossil fuels for the production of about 3 ppm a year. We are talking about a significant amount of greenhouse gases, which at that time was removed from the atmosphere,” says one of the authors Professor mark Maslin.
“In these two centuries the world has seen a General cold, which was called the little Ice age; it is difficult to explain by natural causes, and the only explanation is the reduction of the CO level? as a result of the genocide,” he added.
As previously reported by the Focus:
- Scientists from Oxford University have found that native American dog breeds extinct with the arrival of the Europeans.
- UN experts published a report according to which because of climate change biodiversity in the world will decrease significantly by 2050. In particular, according to the projections, Africa will die half of the species.
Tags: America, global warming, climate, native Americans, scientists
Read on Under the Antarctic glacier, found a hole the size of Manafest butterflies. As warming in the Arctic staged “ice age” in the United States and Caladeniinae nature. Like artificial plants will help with cleaning planetarium natural disasters around the world, steel 10 733 chelovekovedenija will close all coal plants by 2038 godagama technology is ideal to combat climate change, bill gates
- The butterfly effect. As warming in the Arctic staged “ice age” in the United States and Canada 7253
- The battle of Kruty: myths and facts. As it was 100 years ago 15903
- An undeclared epidemic. How many Ukrainians sick with measles in 2019 13454
- In all serious. How do you go from a Ukrainian soccer celebrity to the homeless in Kuala Lumpur 15113
- A year of black swans. What awaits the Ukrainian economy in the next 12 months 13663
- The Voice Of Hell. The Polish Ambassador told me why Europe is tired of Ukraine 20632
- Common ageism. Why in the Ukraine, those over 40, past the age dislike 64239
- Patron Of Poltava. An unusual story of a most honest mayor in the Russian Empire 15228
- To tear to shreds. Why does our generation have to grow old and die alone 38306
- Army, MOV and faith Hetman Skoropadsky. Why a hundred years ago collapsed Ukrainian power 25797
- Paul Mushroom: I got ratted out and betrayed 6425 / 7479
- Filaret is in the hospital under medical supervision, Archbishop Zorya 6252 / 7433
- Documents Savchenko filed in the CEC 3493 / 4230
- Red banner executioner. What we learned from the archives about the main liquidator of prisoners of Kiev Ivan Nagorny 2351 / 6231
- Before his death from decl became very sick hands 2021 / 2136
- Suprun told how it is better to eat a sausage sandwich 1654 / 1971
- The Primate of the law. What will change after the enthronement of Epiphany 1588 / 1679
- More than one pair. How many shoes should have decent men 1387 / 1416
- The Soviet authorities knew of the death of Dyatlov’s group before it was discovered 1237 / 1452
- The butterfly effect. As warming in the Arctic staged “ice age” in the United States and Canada 1100 / 7253
- Paul Mushroom: I got ratted out and betrayed 16 / 7479
- Suprun told how it is better to eat a sausage sandwich 13 / 1971
- In the next five years we will have a decision to grant Ukraine NATO membership, Poroshenko 8 / 970
- Red banner executioner. What we learned from the archives about the main liquidator of prisoners of Kiev Ivan Nagorny 6 / 6231
- The butterfly effect. As warming in the Arctic staged “ice age” in the United States and Canada 6 / 7253
- Poroshenko has submitted documents to the CEC 5 / 1086
- Filaret is in the hospital under medical supervision, Archbishop Zorya 5 / 7433
- Documents Savchenko filed in the CEC 5 / 4230
- More than one pair. How many shoes should have decent men 4 / 1416
- Put this on immediately! 9 provocative novelties men’s fashion that not everyone will like 4 / 1524
Weather in Kremenchuk the Weather forecast in Melitopol.