19 Nov. In 1804, in Kharkov, there was a big fire. During a fire burned down St. Demetrius Church together with the parish archive. The new Church, designed by architects Eugene Vasiliev and Peter Yaroslavl, built in 1805-1808 years.
Opposite the temple, at his mother’s house lived the writer G. F. Kvitka-Osnovyanenko, presumably getting married and ottawensis in this Church.
In the 1840-1870-ies the Church was repeatedly reconstructed and expanded. In the room at a time could be 800 people.
In 1885-1896 years the Church underwent a major renovation by the famous Kharkov architect, the architect of the Annunciation Cathedral Lovtsov. The Church expanded so that it could accommodate 2100 people.
In the years of Soviet power the activities of the temple were terminated. In 1930, the building was donated to the club “Avtodor”, and subsequently to the DOSAAF.
In 1935 the former Church was rebuilt in the style of constructivism, destroyed the dome and the upper tiers of the bell tower, partitioned interior space.
After the war the building housed a cinema “Sport”.
In the 90 years the building was transferred to the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.