Senior researcher at the Berlin office European Council on foreign relations Gustav Gressel
About Germany’s role in the implementation of the “Nord stream-2”, about the US withdrawal from the Contract on liquidation of rockets of average and small range (the INF Treaty) and problems in relations between the European Union and the United States – in an interview with “Apostrophe” said senior researcher at the Berlin office European Council on foreign relations (ECFR) GUSTAV GRESSEL.
In the past, Gustav Gressel worked in the Bureau of defense policy Ministry of defense of Austria. At the European Council on foreign relations, Austrian researcher specializiruetsya on the defense of Russia and Eastern Europe.
– How do you feel about the fact that the EU and Germany could not or would not avoid the project “Nord stream-2”?
– I think, Germany did not fully understand what you’re getting into. They dispelled many of its own myths, and nobody believes that this is a commercial transaction, which will operate in accordance with the basic EU legislation. Because, roughly speaking, Germany defends illegal ecosystem “Nord stream-2”. The East Europeans, Scandinavians perceive Germany as an enemy or with suspicion. And Italy and other southern countries will demand and that such a selective approach in budget financial sector.
Because they (German authorities – “Apostrophe”) discuss it between yourselves and do not take into account how their actions will be treated in Europe. So Germany came to his sample isolationalism (isolationist nationalism – “the Apostrophe”) and an intellectual obsession with himself. “Nord stream” – a consequence.
– What was guided by the German authorities, when taking such a decision?
– Corruption. There is a certain challenge for the leadership of the Social democratic party, and they refused the post of Minister of the economy, to ensure the lobbying of the “Nord stream-2”. From an energy perspective, the gas pipeline will not bring Germany a huge benefit. Involved in the decision of the people was guided by the goal to earn.
The construction of “Nord stream-2”
– What will be the consequences of the Hungarian campaign against Soros and cadets? In General as far can conflict with Hungary part of the EU?
The problem is that there are many countries that protect Hungary for reasons of their own – Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria. Because they want freedom in domestic politics, less oversight by the EU. Because now Orban (Viktor Orban Prime Minister of Hungary – “Apostrophe”) in a strong position, I think that the Europeans missed a chance for the hard approach to it, which persisted until 2015, when the coalition against Orban to form. It’s late – too much time lost.
– What are you expecting from the dialogue between the EU and the United States after the US withdrawal from the Treaty on the elimination of intermediate and short range?
– It was obvious that the INF Treaty will come to an end – due to infringements by Russia. The problem is that there are missiles that can be deployed in response, and trump is not interested in European security. That is, Americans do not want and do not have to give the EU. And the Europeans don’t know what to do in this situation.
Putin, threatening all missiles, just intense fear. No common position and no idea what to do. I think there is no significant decisions on this issue, while trump will not leave office.
France was more willing to talk about curbing a few years ago. The Germans chose the option “to surrender” they feel that in domestic policy, the situation is such that a severe reaction will not support. But other countries do not have the money or influence. The poles think that trump will help them, and it is an illusion. However, they are happy to live in my fantasy world. With others as well. No European response in the near future will not.
– What do you see as the risks associated with the contradictions between the EU and the United States in matters of trade, security, Iran and so on?
– Trade is the big question. American trade policy is a real threat to Europe. On Iran, more noise than fact. No one in Europe takes US seriously: no one expects that all goes to regime change in Iran is only the chatter of the administration of the trump for a domestic audience to please hard Pro-Israel Republicans. But trump won’t do anything, because he departs from the Middle East, from Syria.
Will disputes concerning sanctions and counter-sanctions, rhetoric, but no one expects that the US will actually resort to this.
Regarding the trade situation will really worsen. View, will the Americans to the WTO… If not, it will be quite a big disaster.