The United States has decided to evacuate its diplomats from Iraq

США решили эвакуировать своих дипломатов из Ирака

The U.S. state Department on Wednesday ordered a partial evacuation of the U.S. Embassy in the Iraqi capital Baghdad, in response to, as stated by the administration of President Donald trump, the threat posed by Iran, which has led to an accelerated movement of American ships and bombers to the Persian Gulf. This UNN reports citing The New York Times.

The state Department has ordered U.S. government employees who are not involved in urgent work, as the Embassy in Baghdad and Consulate in the Iraqi city of Erbil to leave the country.

The Embassy statement said that as a result of visa services in Iraq will be suspended. Contractors that provide security, catering and other similar services, will remain in place.

U.S. Secretary of state Mike Pompeo said last week that the administration received intelligence related to “Iranian activities”, which resulted in the American facilities and staff are exposed to “significant risk.” Other American officials said that intelligence indicated a potential attack Shiite Arabs.

Iraqi officials expressed skepticism about the threat described by the Americans, and on Tuesday so did a British major-General Chris Geek, who is Deputy commander of the American-led coalition that is fighting against the “Islamic state”.

“No, there is no increased threat posed by Iranian-backed forces in Iraq and Syria,” – said in particular major General Chris Geek. The Central command of the Pentagon issued a statement which said that the comments of General Geeks “contrary to the identified significant threats which are there in the US intelligence and its allies concerning Iranian-backed forces in the region.”

Share