Lyme disease, also called borreliosis, vectors are ticks, which are the most active in the summer. The disease affects the human nervous system, locomotor apparatus, heart and skin.
Season attacks of ticks begins in April and ends in October. They are most active in early summer, the peak of abundance is in may-June.
How dangerous is Lyme disease (borreliosis)?
Less ticks outdoors in Sunny hot weather, and in cool and cloudy. In addition, the tiny insects can get into your house with a bouquet of flowers or Pets.
Lyme disease cause borrelii, which are transferred exclusively to ticks. The infection occurs when the insect injects saliva into the wound. Every year in Ukraine is fixed to 1500 cases of infection with borreliosis.
Initial symptoms of Lyme disease occur within 5-11 days after the time of the bite, as is the incubation period. The first signs resemble flu-like symptoms.
Primarily, the bite swells, appears red spot, may occur paralysis of the facial nerve.
A late appeal to the doctors can turn into a “bouquet” of serious chronic diseases – from aching joints and problems with the nervous and cardiovascular systems to neurological disorders. Lyme disease can even lead to disability.
Lyme disease is treated with antibiotics, the course lasts from 2 weeks to 1 month, and this is assuming that you have early stage.
How to deal with a tick bite
As told the doctor-infectious diseases specialist Tatyana Polishchuk, every second tick is infected with Lyme disease and therefore each bite is assigned antibiotic therapy.
To remove a tick, doctors recommend using medical tweezers or thread.
Now the main removal technique using thread. We are with you
Removal of the tick thread: make a loop, throws it to the proboscis of the tick, tighten, and this same loop are moving up, pulling that tick. In any case, should not be abruptly tear.
Removal of the tick with tweezers special: gripping the edges imposed by the tweezers in the center of the proboscis of the tick and gradual movements perpendicularly upwards, turning in one or the other hand, slowly pull the tick.
Never remove a tick I have to have bare hands, so we always have to defend themselves, or medical gloves, or other scrap materials, for example, cloth. If we crush the tick, then Nai will also appear risk of infection,
– said the doctor-surgeon Victor Baby.
In addition, pour the tick with oil is impossible.
“Before, the people there were of the opinion that the tick is necessary to pour butter or oil, explaining that a tick has to gasp and then fall away. Even there are tips that you can cauterize the bite and the tick, but it all remains in the past is wrong. Not only that, it’s inefficient, and even harmful, ” explained Baby.
Don’t forget that the bite should be disinfected.
After removing the tick should wash hands thoroughly with soap and water to the infected saliva of the tick has not got on small wounds in the skin, mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and lips.
Removed the tick should be referred to hospital for further investigation for the presence of virus.
Those who has not been vaccinated against tick-borne encephalitis should immediately seek medical assistance for administration of the immunoglobulin.
Lyme disease: symptoms
The disease often has three stages, and each of them appears very different symptoms. In addition, stages can occur with varying severity. Sometimes the intervals between the stages of Lyme disease is long and asymptomatic.
The first stage of the disease – the stage of local infection, when the pathological process develops in the bite site. Manifest cutaneous manifestations, in particular, there is redness and erythema migrans.
The first stage of development of the disease (from 3 to 30 days): symptoms
- swelling and redness at the bite location
- skin rash
- the increase in body temperature
- pain in joints and muscles
- body aches
5 – 8% of people in stage 1 there are signs of brain damage.
- nausea and vomiting
- severe headache
- the increased sensitivity of the skin
- the tension neck
The second stage of disease development (1 to 3 months after the bite): symptoms
The second stage of disease – stage dissemination, when the dissemination of the pathogen from the primary tumor in the human body.. Hematogenous and lymphatic dissemination occurs in lymph nodes, parenchymatous organs, joints, nervous system, where borrelii are addicted to the system of mononuclear phagocytes with the formation of metastatic foci of inflammation.
- throbbing headache
- increased body temperature
- the reduction in concentration
- sleep disorders
- sharp mood changes
- paralysis of cranial nerves
- peripheral radiculopathy
- violation of the sensitivity of the extremities
- shortness of breath
- chest pain
- limfozitami at the bite site
The third stage of development of the disease (in 1.5 – 2 years): symptoms
The third stage of the disease – the stage of persistent infection and autoimmune disorders. Lesions have mainly the joints, heart and nervous system, rarely the skin. This stage can develop in a few months, and even years after infection.
- epileptic seizures
- disturbance of consciousness
- painful spasms of the muscles
- memory disorders
- bluish-red spots, infiltrates, nodules on the skin of the extremities
- the skin atrophies and becomes like crumpled paper
To avoid becoming a victim of the tick, should follow a few simple tips:
- In your yard or at the cottage regularly mow the grass, because mites usually live near forests and fields.
- Take care of clothes to nature or a walk in the Park. Should wear something on your head, light-colored clothing with long sleeves and long pants, a skintight body – on light is easier to detect a tick, and the fitted clothes, will protect against the penetration of insects on the skin.
- Daily inspect yourself, children and Pets on the subject of ticks. The review should be repeated every 2:00 walk and after they returned home. Also check out all of the things that brought walk – bags, blankets, and more.
- Outdoors for recreation it is better to clean the place from dry grass, branches, twigs.
- Use for protection from these dangerous insect sprays and creams that repel ticks.