Many people know that some diseases are hereditary, i.e. they can be passed on from generation to generation, or a generation (depending on the disease and the type of inheritance).
This writes ophthalmologist Julia Prokofiev Instagram.
The hereditary factor is the most common in these eye diseases:
- myopia, hypermetropia (farsightedness), astigmatism (diseases associated with the violation of the structure of the eye);
- congenital cataract;
- degenerative diseases of the retina;
- degenerative diseases of the cornea (keratoconus);
- degenerative diseases of the iris (essential progressive mesodermal
- degeneration of the iris of the eye);
- coloboma of the choroid or any part of it.
Strabismus and amblyopia are not transmitted by inheritance
Strabismus and amblyopia is a consequence of other diseases, in and of themselves are not transmitted by inheritance.
When nearsightedness (myopia) inherited the tendency to stretching of the membranes of the eye, that is a weakness of the connective tissue. However, the visual strain may trigger / enhance eye growth and thus myopia.
If the family parents have the diseases of the eye, it does not mean that the child they will be. But these children need to regularly examine the eyes and to have a more strict mode of visual loadings.
What eye disease is inherited
More news about treatment of different diseases, medicine in Ukraine, healthy lifestyle and nutrition, pregnancy and childbirth, discoveries in the field of medicine and more – see Health.