The company’s shares Facebook fell by 8% by the close of trading on June 26, and the total loss of founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg because of the failure of large major companies to advertise on its platforms reached $7.21 billion About it on June 27 told Business Insider.
Unilever, Hershey, North Face, Verizon, Coca-Cola and many other corporations in the last week suspended its advertising campaign in social networks within the movement StopHateforProfit. Entrepreneurs require policy changes Facebook and other platforms against racism, violence and human rights.
Advertising accounts for nearly 100% of Facebook’s revenue, and sales of advertising space in the first three months of 2020, was $17.4 billion.
In response to the boycott of the June 26, Zuckerberg said on his page in Facebook that on the eve of the US presidential elections, the social network is changing approaches to providing users with reliable information and also to fight against the restriction of freedom of choice and hate speech. He promised that the company will track and label content that can lead people astray, just as it is marked by any problematic information. The content can cause an outbreak of violence will be deleted, even if it will come from politicians, the importance of the opinions which society is obvious, said Zuckerberg.
May 25 after a tough police detention died African American George Floyd. After the death of men in the United States, riots broke out. 29 may President Donald trump wrote in Facebook that the protesters “dishonor the memory of George Floyd”, and called the protesters thugs. A similar message, the American President has left Twitter. The microblogging service regarded him as the glorify violence.
Zuckerberg explained that his social network has not removed the posts of trump, as he regarded them as a warning about the actions of the state to be aware of.
June 1, dozens of Facebook employees went on strike in protest against the attitude of Zuckerberg.
June 2, the founder of the company decided not to change, not marking and not delete posts trump. However, on 6 June announced a change in policy permitting the discussion in the social network, the threats of use of force by the state.