$ 16,500 for the “superheroes” of ALS

“People with ALS are real superheroes inspiring us daily. Together, we can change the rules of the game. “These are words that sum up quite well the march for ALS held in Sherbrooke on Saturday, organized by the Society of ALS Quebec.
A beautiful energy reigned in Jacques-Cartier Park as the sun shone on a light blue background during this 13th edition of the event, which raised $ 16,500.

In all, 250 walkers came to support services for people with ALS and medical research.

“The march went very well, we feel that people are mobilized and it is certain that James Benoit, our honorary president, is also for something,” said Melode Prince, responsible for development and community involvement for the ALS Society of Quebec.

Before the official start, Amélie Gagnon, a twelve-year-old girl, appeared in front of all the participants to present a check with the sum of $ 1092.90 collected through a collection of bottles and cans. Walkers were invited to wear a bib in honor of one and several people who motivated them to take part in the event.

With the amount raised of $ 16,500, the Société ALS du Québec could say that this was a mission accomplished, since the initial objective was $ 10,000.

“40 per cent of the donations we raise in the markets fund ALS research projects. The remaining 60 percent is used to support the direct services available to people living with ALS at every stage. The sums really make all the difference, “said Prince.

Just before the official start of the march was launched, one of the participants wanted to speak.

“Strength, courage and perseverance are values ​​shared by people fighting ALS. I wish you to take advantage of this special day to gather, “he said.

For people who are cycling enthusiasts, the Société SLA du Québec organizes an activity at Mont Orford at the end of August.

“No one is immune to ALS, and people who are diagnosed have a life expectancy that varies on average between two and five years,” Prince concluded.

Remember that there are nine walks for ALS in the province and that across the country, nearly $ 1 million is raised through various fundraising activities.

Share Button

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *